Wichita Sex Crimes Attorneys
Defending Clients Facing Sex Crime Charges in Sedgwick County & South Central Kansas
At Hulnick, Stang, Gering & Leavitt, P.A., our team of experienced Wichita sex crimes lawyers is dedicated to defending you and your future. Facing sex crime charges in Kansas can be a daunting and life-altering experience. We understand the complexities and sensitivities surrounding these cases and are here to provide you with the solid legal representation you need.
Common Types of Sex Crimes in Kansas
The state of Kansas defines sex crimes as a wide range of actions. If you have been wrongly accused of a sex crime, there is a chance that you may be charged based on some of the following types of sex crimes:
- Child pornography
- Exploitation of child
- Criminal sodomy
- Human trafficking
- Sexual assault
- Date rape
- Statutory rape
- Indecent liberties with a child
- Lewd and lascivious behavior
- Sexual battery
What are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in Kansas?
The penalties for sex crimes in Kansas vary depending on the specific offense, the age of the victim, and the defendant's prior criminal record. Some consequences of a sex crime conviction in Kansas include:
- Prison Sentences: Convictions for sex crimes often lead to substantial prison sentences, with some offenses carrying mandatory minimum sentences.
- Sex Offender Registration: In many cases, individuals convicted of sex crimes must register as sex offenders, which can have lifelong repercussions on employment, housing, and relationships.
- Fines and Restitution: Defendants may be ordered to pay fines and restitution to victims to compensate for damages suffered.
- Probation or Parole: Individuals may sometimes be sentenced to probation or parole, with strict supervision requirements.
- Criminal Record: A sex crime conviction can result in a permanent criminal record, affecting your ability to secure employment and housing.
- Loss of Civil Rights: Convicted individuals may lose certain civil rights, such as voting and possessing firearms.
What is Jessica’s Law?
In 2006 Jessica’s Law was enacted. Jessica’s Law established mandatory minimum terms of imprisonment for persons convicted of certain sex offenses when the alleged perpetrator is at least 18 years of age. Designed to be tough on crimes involving child victims, the law establishes penalties for sexual abuse of children with first-time sex offenders receiving a potential life sentence with no possibility of parole for a minimum of 25 years.
Defenses Against Sex Crime Charges
Our Wichita sex crimes lawyers understand that being accused of a sex crime can be a traumatic experience. However, various defense strategies can be employed to challenge these charges, including:
- Consent: If both parties involved in the sexual activity consented, it may be possible to argue that no crime occurred.
- False Accusations: In some cases, individuals are falsely accused of sex crimes due to misunderstandings, revenge, or other motivations. We can work to uncover the truth and expose false allegations.
- Lack of Evidence: The prosecution has to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. We can argue for a dismissal of charges or a penalty reduction if there is insufficient evidence.
- Violation of Rights: If law enforcement violated your constitutional rights during the investigation or arrest, we can seek to suppress the evidence or dismiss the case.
- Mistaken Identity: We can investigate and present evidence that you were not the person responsible for the alleged offense.
Contact Our Wichita Sex Crimes Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one are facing sex crime charges in Kansas, having a skilled and compassionate legal team on your side is crucial. At Hulnick, Stang, Gering & Leavitt, P.A., our Wichita sex crimes lawyers are dedicated to protecting your rights, reputation, and future. Our team will work tirelessly to build a robust defense strategy tailored to your unique case, advocating for the best possible outcome.
Contact Hulnick, Stang, Gering & Leavitt, P.A. today to schedule a meeting with one of our sex crime attorneys in Wichita!